Looking for a new way to enjoy asparagus? Try this simple soup for those last few chilly days of the season.
Some tips for working with asparagus: look for thin stalks to reduce the fibrous texture that comes with thicker ones. When storing asparagus, treat them like a flower – trim the stalk and place them in a mason jar with an inch or two of water before storing in the fridge. It keeps the stalk hydrated and crunchy.
2 lbs asparagus, trimmed
8-10 garlic cloves, smashed
2 tbsp olive oil
Ground pepper to taste
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 cup skim or 2% milk
Chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- Toss asparagus and garlic with olive oil and season with pepper.
- Arrange asparagus and garlic on prepared baking sheet in one layer. Roast for 12 minutes, or until asparagus is soft, stirring once.
- Remove from oven and transfer asparagus and garlic to a blender. Add broth and milk. Blend until smooth (Note: Depending on how large your blender is, you might have to do this part in batches)
- Transfer soup to a soup pot.
- Warm soup over medium-high heat, thinning with an additional ¼ cup of broth, if desired.
- Season with pepper, garnish with parsley, and serve!